Monday, February 04, 2008

Bay Pines Landscape series

I completed this painting back in September but never got around to posting the finished result as I found myself immediately beginning work on the third painting of this series.
All of the paintings are done on stretched canvas, 70" X 48" , and are in oil paints.
The accuracy in scale and architectural interest is achieved by first laying out a grid and then using colored pencils to carefully measure and draw in key shapes and the most prominent aspects of what I need to focus on.
With this particular painting, I spent a good week or so measuring and drawing before even starting to block in any color. And nearly a month went by before I managed to completely cover the canvas with it's first layer of paint. It's an anxious time I feel reaching this stage of the painting where I can really stand back and see how the composition is working..... or isn't.
Usually, I've done enough small preliminary sketches to visualize how the composition of the painting will look on a larger scale, but I'm never fully certain until I can see it in actuality.
I was elated to see how the strength of the composition transformed itself so well on the large canvas, enabling me to move forward and concentrate on taking this painting to its completion.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home